Fusion Antibodies is a Contract Research Organisation (CRO) that provides a range of service in the area of antibody engineering for the development of antibodies for both therapeutic drug and diagnostic applications. Focusing on antibody generation, development, production, characterisation and optimisation, these services include antigen expression, antibody production, purification and sequencing, antibody humanisation using the Company’s proprietary CDRx™ platform and the production of antibody generating stable cell lines to provide material for use in clinical trials. Since 2012, the Company has successfully sequenced over 250 antibodies and successfully completed over 215 humanisation projects for its clients.
Headquartered in Belfast, Northern Ireland, the Company was established in 2001 as a spin out from Queen’s University. It was initially a drug development business but revised its operations to focus on CRO work in 2011. The company has over 55 employees and was listed on AIM in December 2017. The company has ambitious plans to grow with a strategy based on the expansion of its client base as well as the addition of new service offerings. This strategy uses the Company’s proven technology and expertise and targets expansion both in the UK market and internationally. Key new service offerings being developed include antibody affinity maturation and a Mammalian Antibody Library Discovery Platform which represent key future growth drivers.
Fusion is at a key value inflection point in the Company’s evolution with a key focus on expanding/driving current commercial performance and accessing additional value generating opportunities as well as launch preparations for the new service offerings. Fusion operates in a highly competitive and fast evolving market and in light of this the position for Antibody Engineering Senior Scientist has become available to grow and develop the Engineering department within Fusion Antibodies.
Brief Position Summary:
Reporting to the Antibody Engineering Team Leader, the role of Antibody Engineering Senior Scientist will be responsible the design of humanised antibodies (using structural modelling techniques and bioinformatics for the design of manufacturable and high affinity antibodies). The individual will be responsible for providing the analysis of high throughput sequencing data and supporting antibody library design within a multidisciplinary team. A successful candidate should have a thorough knowledge of genomics, good programming skills, and ideally have hands-on experience with antibody sequence analysis for the development of therapeutic antibodies (e.g. NGS).
Primary Position Responsibilities/Tasks
- Report directly to Antibody Engineering Team Leader on project delivery
- Contribute to the supervision of scientists and technicians
- Contribute to the delivery of the Engineering Projects
- Contribute to the development of best practice to improve quality, efficiency and effectiveness
- Work on projects simultaneously with multiple stakeholders, locations, work packages with overlapping deadlines.
- Maintain accurate live program and project information and status through regular team meetings.
- Present data at conferences and weekly team meetings
- Prepare reports, publications and oral presentations
- Maintain equipment and order consumables
- Maintain laboratory books in accordance with ISO9001
- Maintain and write SOPs
To stay up to date with secondary research disseminating information and sharing learning with the wider team. The successful candidate will contribute to the growth of Fusion Antibodies Antibody Engineering department.
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Chemistry/Biology or related field with 1 years’ experience, or MSc with 3+ years of industry experience.
- Highly experienced in protein structural analysis with emphasis on homology modeling and protein structure-based design. Strong understanding of molecular interactions is essential.
- Experience in the following areas would be an asset: background in structure-based protein analysis and bioinformatics, development of therapeutic antibodies.
- Proficient in antibody NGS sequence analysis, antibody CDR and framework calling, and structure modelling is essential.
- Deep understanding of next generation sequencing methods, antibody genomic structure, and data interpretation is essential
- Experience in the design of humanised antibodies is highly desirable
- Experience with antibody diversity generation is highly desirable
- Ability to generate high quality reports
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience in antigen design
- Experience with protein modelling software
- Computer programming skills such as Python or R
If you are interested in this role then please send an up to date CV and covering letter to email@example.com quoting reference number SSB2021 by 20th August 2021.